Monday, December 26, 2005

Antivirus makes Mac OS less secure

The Mac OS X is known to be a very secure operating systems, at least compared to MS Windows. Nonetheless, antivirus companies hate this nice feature, trying to capitalize on the large number of Mac users.

Recent news, therefore, report that, instead of increasing security, Norton Anti-Virus makes Mac OS X less secure.

The source of the vunerability is a flaw in Norton's code, that has not being fixed yet. It seems to be a new headache for a program that aparently has not reason to exist. As the zdned commentator writes, "as the owner of a Powerbook I am faced with a dilemma. Do I pay AU$118.15 for a flawed 'security' application that is designed to protect me from threats that do not seem to exist; or do I take sensible precautions like keeping my computer behind a firewall and staying up to date with OS X patches?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


personal_4